Book Review - Captor!: Justice Delayed...Justice Served! by Lain McIntyre





Captor!: Justice Delayed...Justice Served! by Lain McIntyre

Book Details

  • ASIN : B07GFB9JWN
  • Language : English
  • File size : 446 KB
  • Print length : 162 pages

Please support the author Lain McIntyre , by following him on Twitter: @LainMcintyre

DISCLAIMER: I purchased this book  myself to support the author who sadly was not getting any reader reviews despite his generosity of gifting many copies to readers.  Although I enjoy mystery, thrillers and police procedurals, the book with its 'adults only' warning due to  the inclusion of descriptive rape scenes, means I would not normally be drawn to this style of book. My review reflects my personal views, however I have sought to treat the book fairly and review it on its merits while acknowledging it is not to my personal tastes..

***


<Note I placed an abridged version of this review on the book's Amazon page.>

I give this book 4 out of 5 bats  for being well written and well-paced, but It lost a bat as I felt the s*x/rape scenes were gratuitous, I think they could have been a part of the murder and torture scenes without being so full on (my personal opinion so don’t let that stop you buying the book if you like that type of read) 

My personal views on the writing are that the scenes could have been left to the reader's imagination and did not need to go into such detail. I do not believe they added any value to the plot moving forward and they really did not need to be there. The narrative would have moved just as well and the reader understanding that the callous tormenter was just as bad, without the minute descriptors of the rape and s*x scenes. 

That being said, the plot was solid, it has the making of a very scary thriller film. The narrative has you on the edge of your seat as you read, and you keep wanting to yell 'behind you' to potential victims. 

The torture and murder scenes and the psycho captor character would make a good movie plot. I just skipped over the gratuitous s*x scenes cos they arent my thing. That aside, it is however a solid thriller ... and the ending is downright scary!

This novel was captivating (‘captorvating’ – read the novel you will understand my pun then!). It had mystery, murder, police procedural and a thriller feel. I found the full -on overly descriptive rape/s*x scenes a turn off (was that another pun?) and personally felt they were not necessary to go into such detail to keep the narrative going.The book was an easy read, it had a good balanced level of descriptors and narrative without getting bogged down, and its pace was just right for its theme.

Overall a quick read, and if the gratuitous rape/s*x descriptors were removed, for me the book would rate as a solid thriller/crime type book.

The e-book can be pruchased from Amazon USA from this link: Amazon USA Captor
The e-book can be purchased from AMazon Australia from this link: Amazon Au Captor

(c) empressbat.blogspot.com 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to add your comments - please note comments will only be visible after moderation