Book review - The Cartographers by Peng Shepherd








If you have read this book please consider leaving a review of it. Honest and fair reviews help readers decide on whether a book will appeal to them or not, and can help authors get seen and obtain book sales.

Book details:

  • Publisher ‏ : ‎Orion
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Paperback ‏ : ‎ 400  pages
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0062910698
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0062910691

Please support the author, their Amazon page is  Peng Shepherd and they are on Twitter as @pengshepherd

I give this book 5 out of 5 bats, 

I have seen some reviews that have scathingly said there are too many plotholes - I read this book in a few hours and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I found it easy to follow the various intermingling storylines and didn't feel there were any unsurmountable plotholes at all. I did question why the characters made the decisions they did, as in some cases the decisions seemed extreme and totally unrealistic, but think about real life, people make odd decisions all the time, let's give this author's created people a pass on their strange decisions. I enjoyed the characters,  the map and place descriptions, and although I found the denouement to be a bit of a trite 'happily ever after', it was an enjoyable book to take me away from the stress and worries of real life.   I felt one of the morals of this story is that trying to selfishly hold knowledge to one's self and not share it is to the detriment of all which is a good lesson, Overall I liked the book I found it mysterious, creative and it had enough intrigue to keep me reading. I think the characters could have done with a bit more of a three-dimensional building, rather than telling us what they are like showing us, would have been good. I also think there could have been more explanation as to why these people were so terrified of a person that they made the decisions they did, but all up I enjoyed it and it is worth buying for a wintery afternoon read to escape the real world.



(c) empressbat.blogspot.com 2011-2022

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to add your comments - please note comments will only be visible after moderation